Friday, January 26, 2007

My Learning Goals: Jean's Fresh New Start of the Year 2007

Goal1
Goal: When I’m revising my drafts, I only seem to focus on fixing little grammar mistakes, being lazy to look for new ways to improve my writing. Therefore, I decided that my first goal is to try new ways to edit my draft.
Method: Instead of being lazy, I should sit down and think for a second. I should try to get specific advices from the peer editor, asking them what they mean by things that they correct on my paper. Also, instead of being only focused on my writing, I should read other people’s writing and see the different methods of how each person views one’s paper.

Goal2
Goal: When I write, I always noticed that I don’t really use specific details to express the ideas as much as I can to the readers. My laziness caused my voice to be lost in the middle of nowhere. Therefore, I decided that my second goal is be able to control my voice, using specific details.
Method: I should read my paper aloud at least twice in case to double-check my voice. I should also read more books and practice describing objects using as many adjectives as I can to expand my vocabulary skills.

Goal3
Goal: Strangely, from when I was young, I always ignored the usage of articles before the noun. This problem led me to find myself looking at rows of red arrows pointing to spaces where I forgot to put articles while I was getting my paper edited. This led me to decide that my goal three would be to not forget to put articles before nouns.
Method: I could place articles before every noun and see if they work, making sure that I don’t forget them.

Goal4
Goal: Even though I’m a high school student, I still don’t know how to use some punctuation marks such as hyphens and dashes. Therefore, my fourth goal is to study and know in memory of all the different kinds of punctuation marks.
Method: I should pay more close attention to Ms. Johnson’s grammar lessons and ask her of any confusion I have. Also, I should search internet for extra information.

Goal5
Goal: When I’m writing research papers, I tend to depend only on one source: internet. From this year, as another goal, I want to be able to use variety of resources such as resources in the library.
Method: I should use resources available in Ms. Johnson’s class first, and try various MLA methods using those resources. I should also visit the library more often to get familiar with the library system.

Goal6
Goal: My sixth goal is to improve my word choice. When I’m writing a story, I always use “common” words such as good and bad.
Method: I really need to get close to thesaurus to learn new, advanced vocabularies. I should also read more books looking for colorful, descriptive words.

Semester Goal1
Goal: During this semester, my goal is to read numerous books and get fresh new ideas about the topics that I could write my stories about.
Method: Since I don’t have much time to read books due to activities I joined, I hope that by the end of this semester, I have many ideas I could write my stories with by reading as much as I can.

Semester Goal2
Goal: During this semester, my second goal is to learn how to do citations properly. On research papers, I depend on internet sites to give me proper citations. I hope that by the end of this semester, I would be able to write citations for my research paper without using internet sources like citationmachine.com.
Method: I could accomplish this goal by using the citations often, trying to do them on my own without copying and pasting them from the internet. I could also get help from Ms. Johnson.

No comments: