Saturday, June 2, 2007

Screenplay:The Fairy Capturer

The Fairy Capturer

by

Jean Eunjin Lee

Ms. Johnson
Writing 1H
May 18th, 2007
35 Scenes


INT. - MR. SAWAN’S OFFICE - DAY
MR. SAWAN, respectful dad of Anne, decides to relocate his zip-lock factory to New Jersey. He CALLS his family and TELLS them about his plan.


INT. - ANNE’S ROOM IN THE OLD HOUSE - DAY
Sawan family is packing all their belongings in the empty boxes. ANNE LOUISE SAWAN, an inquisitive little girl of ten, is asking their parents about the new place they are moving into.


EXT. – GARDEN OF THE NEW HOUSE – DAY
Acolytes from house removal center arrive to the new house. They help Sawan family move the house packages into the house.


INT. - LIVING ROOM AT THE NEW HOUSE - DAY
Sawan family has all the boxes in the living room all piled up. Anne explores the house and chooses her room.

ANNE walks around the new house.
MRS. SAWAN, Anne’s warm-hearted mom, SHOUTS from the living room.

MRS. SAWAN
(Looking up the stairs)
Anne dear, as your birthday present, you can choose the first room in this house.

ANNE
(Walking around the hallway)
Thanks mom. Hm…there are too many rooms. I can’t choose.

MRS. SAWAN
(While giving a warm smile)
Just think about it.

ANNE
(Looking at a room)
Okay mommy.

Anne sees a room on the second floor. The room is on the far left of the house.

ANNE
(Quietly)
I wonder how this room looks like inside.


When Anne enters the room, she sees that it is very neat and organized. It is almost dustless.

ANNE
This room will do.
(As she shouts to her mom)
Mom! This is my room!

Allows herself a grin of satisfaction.


INT. - LIVING ROOM AT THE NEW HOUSE - NIGHT
Anne celebrates her tenth birthday with her parents.

Sawan family is sitting around the sofa in the living room.

MR. SAWAN
So, do you like your new room?

ANNE
I love it dad.







MRS. SAWAN
(Coming with home-made birthday cake)
Our boxes are still not organized, but our stove is just perfect for baking!
(Giving a wink to Anne)
Birthday girl blow the candles and make a wish!

Anne thinks for a second and decides on what to wish for.

ANNE(VO)
(With her eyes closed)
I wish I was braver.

Anne blows the candles. Lamp on the desk next to the television FLICKERS.


INT. - ANNE’S NEW ROOM - NIGHT
Mrs. Sawan comes into Anne’s room after Anne.

MRS. SAWAN
(Tucking Anne into her bed)
Honey, are you sure you want to sleep alone tonight?

ANNE
(With trembling voice)
Since I’m ten years old, I think I’m old enough to act like an adult.

Anne gives her mom a weak smile.
Mom gives Anne a good-night kiss with a comforting smile. Mrs. Sawan turns lights off.


INT. - ANNE’S ROOM - NIGHT
Anne’s alarm clock BANGS for twelve and she wakes up by the noise.


ANNE
(Under her pillow Anne shouts)
Mommy! Daddy, is that you? Who is that? What is that?

A drip of cold tear runs down Anne’s cheek.

ANNE
What’s going on? Am I going to die?
(Breathlessly)
What should I do? Where’s mommy and daddy?

Anne grabs her blanket tight to herself. She sees a silhouette of a monster behind her door leaving an object in front of her room.

ANNE
(Quietly)
What…is …that?
(After a great pause)
Where’s mommy? I want mommy… I’m going to die.
(Starts crying)
Oh, no! Boogieman is going to get me. No! No! No! What am I going to do?

Anne is as frightened as she possibly can. She covers herself with her blanket and starts to walk step by step toward her door. She tumbles and falls over on the floor for she can’t see the front.


INT. – INSIDE OF ANNE’S ROOM - NIGHT
Slowly, Anne CREEKS the door open. She carefully picks up the book and goes into her room after examining it. A beam of light strikes through the ceiling as she opens the book and absorbs her into the book. Anne blacks out.



EXT. - PEPITHRA FOREST - DAY
Anne wakes up and finds herself in the middle of the forest with a scroll.

ANNE
(Holding tightly to herself)
Mommy…where am I? Daddy…where are you?

Anne sees a scroll next to her.

ANNE
(Wiping her tears)
What is this…

Anne opens the scroll.

Insert – The Scroll

We are in great danger. Evil Queen Grace is taking over our home. She is taking away our colors and happiness. Help us. Defeat Queen Grace and help us get our peace back.

Pepithra Animals

She stops crying.

ANNE
Pepithra Forest? Am I in a park? How did I get here? Who are these animals? Do I know them? Where is mommy and daddy?

Anne puts the scroll in her pocket. She starts to walk hopelessly.



EXT. - PEPITHRA FOREST - DAY
Anne looks for her parents. She notices horrible environment: colorless animals and plants. Anne hesitates to go in or not.


INT. - FONGUSE’S CAVE - DAY
Anne walks into a cave. As she walks into the cave, she bumps into a soft, hairy wall. She meets Fonguse, a coward monster. Anne and Fonguse both scream at each other.

FONGUSE
(Only peeking his eyes out of his hands)
Who are you and what do you want from me?

ANNE
(Frightened)
Who...are…you? Are you the boogieman from my dream?

FONGUSE
No…What’s boogieman?
(Hesitating to speak)
Don’t kill me please.

ANNE
(Surprised)
Kill you? Why would you think that I would kill you? I’m too short to even see your face.
(Carefully speaking)
What…what is your name?

FONGUSE
(Calming down)
My name is Fonguse. Well… what’s yours?

ANNE
(Reaching for Fonguse’s hand)
Anne.

FONGUSE
(Shakes Anne’s hand)
Why are you in my house?

ANNE
I…I was just wondering how to get to Queen Grace’s Castle.

FONGUSE
(Surprised)
Qqueen GGRRrrrace! Do you even know who that is?

ANNE
No….Am I supposed to know?

FONGUSE
Just step inside her garden and she throws you in to her dungeon. That’s not all. She takes away your color and uses it for her castle decoration.

ANNE
Whah…who is she?

FONGUSE
She’s the evil fairy of Pepithra Forest. She’s little but powerful. The animals and plants have been suffering for her evil spell since two months ago.

Fonguse squats on the floor as he motions Anne to sit.

ANNE
Horrible! Terrible! She’s as bad as a boogieman!


FONGUSE
(Carefully)
Are you here to help the forest family defeat Queen Grace?

ANNE
I don’t know. I wish I can help but I’m not sure if I can do it. You see, I’m scared to try anything.

FONGUSE
(Getting red)
Well, I’m ashamed to say this but I’m…..a..a scary cat. My brothers laugh at me because ..because of my nose. You see, my nose changes its color according to my emotion. They can tell if I’m scared or not. They make fun of me. I get scared by little things too like butterflies. I know that they are smaller than I am but I can’t help it.

ANNE
Hm… Let me give you an advice. When you get scared, close your eyes and tell yourself that you are stronger and much bigger than the thing in front of you. If you are still scared, scream at the thing for two seconds. I’m telling you, my plan always works.





FONGUSE
Thanks. I feel better now.
(Laughing)
So, are you ready to overthrow Queen Grace?

ANNE
(Surprised)
What? Queen Grace…I’m scared I’m not going to make it.

FONGUSE
(Smiling)
You’ve got me now as your companion.

ANNE
(Hesitates)
Well, I guess I can give it a try.

FONGUSEI’ll pack some food for our journey!

Anne and Fonguse set out to Queen Grace’ Castle.


EXT. - THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Fonguse and Anne hear somebody WEEPING from somewhere. They search around the forest. Fonguse and Anne find Angelica. They calm her down and try to let her speak.


EXT. - THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
When Angelica is telling Anne and Fonguse about her relationship with Queen Grace, there’s a sudden flashback. ANGELICA is a fairy who is abandoned by her sister, Grace.





MONTAGE - ANGELIA EXPLAINS HER PAST MEMORY:

- Grace and Angelica are playing together happily on a grass field;

- Grace glares viciously at her dad’s wand;

- Grace picks up a rock;

- Kills both of her parents;

- Takes the wand and leaves Anne in despair.

Angelica starts crying.

ANGELICA
She never talked to me from then. She abandoned me. She murdered my parents. She took away my home. She took everything from me.
Tears run down Angelica’s cheeks.

FONGUSE
Don’t cry. If you cry, your pretty eyes are going to get swollen.

Regaining her strength, Angelica stands up.

ANGELICA
I want to kill her. She needs to feel how my parents felt. I need to revenge!
(Going back down again)
But..then…I’m too weak. I can’t defeat her. How can I? It’s impossible!

ANNE
Well, Fonguse and I were on our way to overthrow Queen Grace. If you don’t mind…

ANGELICA
(Brightens up)
Oh! Really! If you guys don’t mind, can I accompany you guys?

FONGUSE
(Happily)
Of course!

Fonguse without noticing hugs Angelica. Angelica turns red. Anne gives a huge smile and sets out for the big, long journey.


EXT. - THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Angelica, Anne, and Fonguse walk into a fork road. Anne tries to decide which road to take. Anne decides to take the shortcut. Anne, Fonguse, and Angelica walk through a wild forest. They see sad faces of colorless animals.


EXT. - IN FORNT OF THE RIVER - DAY
Anne, Foguse, and Angelica are having difficulty trying to find a way to cross the river. Angelica talks to her friends in the river: turtles and fish. The turtle and fish make a road for them.

EXT. - ON THE RIVER - DAY
Angelica easily flies over the river first. Fonguse and Anne walk on the backs of turtle and fish.


EXT. - ON THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
After Fonguse and Anne cross the river, they can’t find Angelica. Fonguse and Anne look for her but can’t find her. They decide to take a nap there.





EXT. - ON THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Anne and Fonguse find a huge gap between the roads. Since they can’t cross it, Anne tries to think of an alternative way. Anne sees a red button and presses it. Anne and Fonguse make a deal with the goblin. They cross the bridge.


EXT. - ON THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Not long after Anne and Fonguse cross the bridge, Fonguse falls into a great pit.

ANNE
(While walking)
Where are you Fonguse? AHHH!

Anne falls down into a pit. When she wakes up, she finds herself on Fonguse’s shoulder.

ANNE
(Confused)
What happened?

FONGUSE
I’m not quite sure but I think we both fell into a pit. Red light went on and the next thing I knew was that security guards of Queen Grace are coming.

Anne and Fonguse can hear the marching noises of soldiers.

FONGUSE
Quick! Hide in my pocket! No…that’s too small. I know it sounds disgusting but go in my mouth. My mouth is pretty big compared to my pocket.




ANNE
(Frowning)
Well, I guess I have no choice.

Anne goes into Fonguse’s mouth. She places herself behind Fonguse’s molar. Fonguse’s gum area is quite dry, but the atmosphere moisty.

GUARD LEADER
(With an angry face)
Whoever steps into Queen Grace’s pit is our enemy. You shall go to Queen Grace and beg for her mercy. Guards! Get this thing on to the truck!


EXT. - ON THE ROAD TO GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
The security guards of Queen Grace come and carry Fonguse to the castle.



INT. - MAIN HALL IN GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Fonguse tells Queen Grace that he has a really bad toothache. Queen Grace tries to decide whether she should take a look or not.

FONGUSEBeautiful Queen Grace!

He bows down on his knees.









FONGUSE (CONT’D)
I need your wonderful help with my horrible toothache.
(Trying to think of words he know) I…need ..your...er..glamorous touch from your marvelous wand. Will you have mercy on me and take a look, please? I…
(reluctantly)
beg…you.

Queen Grace tries to decide what she should do. She gets her manicure done by her servants.

QUEEN GRACE
Call me beautiful Queen again.

FONGUSE
B-E-A-utiful Queen.
Fonguse stands up and gives a gentleman bow.

QUEEN GRACE
(Satisfied)
Alright then. Since I’m so kind and it’s my duty to help my people, I should take a glimpse at it. But first, let me hear you say “beautiful Queen” again.

FONGUSE
(Sarcastically)
Beautiful Queen Grace. Just like your name, you are also gracious.

Queen Grace flies to Fonguse giving a long, vicious laugh. Her wand is in her right hand.


INT. - IN FONGUSE’S MOUTH - DAY
Queen Grace cautiously goes into Fonguse’s mouth to take a look. Fonguse closes his mouth. Queen Grace struggles to go out. Anne sees Queen Grace and tries to decide what to do.


INT. - IN FONGUSE’S MOUTH - DAYAnne slowly comes on the back of Queen Grace. She finds zip lock bag in her pocket. Anne catches Queen Grace in her zip lock bag.


INT. - MAIN HALL IN QUEEN GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Anne comes out of Fonguse’s mouth with Queen Grace in her hand. Anne takes the wand away from Grace.

Anne comes out and holds up the zip lock bag.

ANNE
I got her! Queen Grace! Fonguse! I got her!

The servants in the castle gasp and bow down to Anne. Fonguse puts Anne down on the floor.

ANNE
Don’t bow down to me. I’m not a queen. There’s no queen now.

Anne takes out the wand from the zip lock bag carefully so that Grace can not escape.

ANNE
From now on, this wand is not to be used upon Pepithra Forest. The wand has done enough trouble. Queen Grace is trapped in this plastic bag forever so don’t you worry. She can’t breathe in there because she’s zip locked.

SERVANTS
(In excitement)
Hurray!


EXT. - ENTRANCE OF GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Anne brings back all the colors of Pepithra forest. She also releases animal prisoners.


EXT. - ENTRANCE OF GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Angelica comes flying to Anne from the prison. Angelica tells Anne and Fonguse what happened to her.


EXT. - ENTRANCE OF GRACE’S CASTLE - DAY
Fonguse proposes to Angelica that he loves her. They decide to marry.


EXT. - FRONT GARDEN OF THE CASTLE -DAY
Anne goes back home with the wand.


INT. - IN ANNE’S ROOM - MORNING
When she goes back home, she notices that her parents had called police to report missing their daughter.


INT. - IN THE LIVING ROOM - MORNING
She walks to her parents and acts as if she doesn’t know anything about what just happened.


INT. - IN ANNE’S ROOM - MORNING
Anne finds the book that led her into the whole adventure. She notices the change in the book. The book has a new shiny cover with pictures of happy Pepithra Forest animals and plants.


EXT. - BACK YARD OF ANNE’S HOUSE - DAY
Anne burns the wand in the barbeque grill.


INT. - ANNE’S ROOM - NIGHT
Anne sleeps with stuffed-animal dolls thinking about Pepithra Forest animals and how she saved them.


INT. - SCHOOL - DAY
Anne joins all the extra-curricular activities in her school without any hesitation. She’s confidant.

MONTAGE - SHOWS PICTURES OF ANNE IN EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

- Picture of Anne in basketball team

- Picture of Anne in volleyball team

- Picture of Anne in forensics team

- Picture of Anne in cooking club


INT. - SCHOOL GYM - DAY
Anne shouts that she can beat the other team and plays the game.

Anne is in the gym. Floor Hockey game is about to start.

ANNE
(Wearing her helmet)
I can do it. I can do it! I can do it!

GYM TEACHER
Are you ready girls?

ANNE
(Giving out a thumb and a wink)
I’m ready!

WHISTLE blows to start the game.

No comments: